Programs > Brochure
Augsburg CGEE: Social Work in a Latin American Context
Cuernavaca, Mexico (Outgoing Program)
|Homepage:||Click to visit|
|Program Sponsor:||Center for Global Education and Experience at Augsburg University|
|Dates / Deadlines:|
|Language of Instruction:||English||Housing Options:||Campus Dormitory, Home Stay|
|Area of Study:||History, Internship, Latin American Studies, Liberal Arts, Peace, Peace & Conflict Studies, Political Science, Religious Studies, Social Work, Spanish Language & Culture, Women and Gender Studies||Program Type:||WCU Exchange|
|Academic Level:||Junior, Senior, Sophmore|
Social Work in a Latin American Context
Social work students will develop key cross-cultural and professional skills to help them work more effectively with the Latinx community, as Mexicans comprise the largest immigrant population in the United States. Students will take courses in Social Work, complete a practicum in a community organization, participate in a two-week exchange with Mexican Social Work students, learn about Mexican history and culture, and go on excursions to popular destinations! This program satisfies the curriculum requirements for the Bachelor of Arts in social work degree and meets Council on Social Work Education (CSWE) accreditation standards.
Learn more and apply to this program
- Learn from members of rural and urban communities that have been affected by globalization and U.S. immigration policies.
- Engage with Social Workers from state agencies, non- profits, schools, health centers, and an addiction service program.
- Practicum placements in local organizations.
- Participate on a program run by an organization dedicated to social justice, which uplifts the voices of underrepresented and marginalized peoples in all programs.
- Host family stays with welcoming and friendly families in Cuernavaca. Housing requests for gay and lesbian-friendly, sober/dry homestays, and vegetarian-friendly are all available!
Your coursework is in English, all levels of Spanish speakers are welcome, including beginners! (We recommend a base level of one-semester of college level Spanish prior to the start of the program, but it is not required.)
- International Social Welfare: The Mexico-U.S. Context
- Social Work with Groups and Families: Theory and Practice
- Comparative Social Policy
- Social Work Field Experience
- Spanish language - 18 course options available ranging from beginner to advanced
- Recreational Wellness: Latin Dance
The Augsburg CGEE Study Center in Mexico, nicknamed "Casa Augsburg," is a 15-minute walk from downtown Cuernavaca and the main city plaza, in the neighborhood of San Antón. CGEE is well established in San Antón and has many friends and close connections in the neighborhood, including many of the homestay families. Casa Augsburg is located at the top of one of the large ravines that runs through the city, offering a dramatic view from the nearby bridge that leads to downtown. Because of the ravine, there is a 100-foot waterfall right in the neighborhood, a local eco-tourist attraction. Right across the bridge, students will find a large public garden/park, an independent movie theater, the Cathedral, and several popular cafés.
This program includes regional travel (included in the program fee). Weekend excursions includes locations such as: Puebla, Teotihuacan, Toluca, a volcano, and a natural water park. Seminars and homestays in rural Indigenous communities, and a short seminar in Mexico City are also included.
For More Information
- Request Information from us
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call +1-612-330-1159
- Learn more and apply to this program